We have been hearing a lot of people asking about renters insurance from families preparing to send a child off to college. That said, if you or someone you know is in a similar position, I thought I’d answer two questions I’m often asked.

Does my homeowners policy cover my student’s possessions?

While homeowners insurance will safeguard your student’s possessions, the deductible on your homeowners policy is often higher than the value of damaged or stolen items. Plus, there are significant limits to what homeowners insurance will cover.

What is dorm renters insurance, and why would I need it?

Dorm renters insurance covers your student’s belongings while living in a college dorm. Things like laptops, bicycles, smartphones, and musical instruments are among the things this insurance covers. While the chance of a burglary at your student’s university is fairly small, the risk varies by region and school.

Dorm renters insurance is affordable and worth its weight in gold if you need it. It’s a good idea to explore the optional coverage before the school year begins so you can weigh the pros and cons. Like other insurance policies, much of the policy’s value is in the peace of mind it provides.

If you’d like to learn more, give the office a quick call and we’ll be happy to pull together a quote.